Is Make Joseph Kony Famous Legit?

           Joseph Kony, leader of the  Lord’s Resistance Army is on the world’s top ten Most Wanted list and is being investigated by International Criminal Court for crimes against    humanity.  Kony’s headquarters are in northern Uganda. It is here that he coerces children to become his soldiers or sex slaves.An estimated 66,000 children have been enlisted to fight for the LRA and a further 2 million people have been displaced. Kony’s legacy of terrorism dates back over two decades. During the Bush administration aid was provided to Ugandan troops by means of fuel trucks, night vision goggles and satellite phones.
             In October of 2011 the Obama administration deployed 100 “armed military advisers” to help local Ugandan troops fight against Kony’s 20 year reign of terror.

Joseph Kony News – The New York Times

Due to a highly successful social media campaign to Make Joseph Kony Famous by an organization called Invisible Children Kony’s days of terrorism have been brought to the attention of a record number of individuals. The organization’s You Tube video receiving 1 million hits last night alone.

So successful has the social media campaign against Kony been that celebrities tweeted extensively about Kony and how they hope to end his reign of terror by donating money to Invisible Children.

“Dear Joseph Kony, I’m Gonna help Make you FAMOUS!!!! We will stop YOU #StopKONY ! All 6,OOO,OOO of my followers RT NOW!!! Pls!

iamdiddyiamdiddy

Oprah Winfrey tweeted, “I have supported Invisible Children and their efforts for a long time.”
     Discussions on Facebook range from adamant support for Invisible Children, or to oust Kony, and end the LRA , to accusations that 32% of all money sent to the Invisible Children organization will make it’s way to the children in Uganda who need it. Leaving a whopping 68% with the Invisible Children organization.
     “Fyi To anyone that may be thinking about donating money To the foundation for capturing joseph kony that organization only spends  32% of the donations on the invisible children.also he is no longer a threat over there.he has went n to hiding and his followers have disbanded.there r still problems over there but he is no longer one if them and hasn’t been for about 5 or 6 years”
     S Lee via Facebook Post

“Invisible Children has been condemned time and time again. As a registered not-for-profit, its finances are public. Last year, the organization spent $8,676,614. Only 32% went to direct services (page 6), with much of the rest going to staff salaries, travel and transport, and film production. This is far from ideal, and Charity Navigator rates their accountability 2/4 stars because they haven’t had their finances externally audited. But it goes way deeper than that. JUST BECASUE SOME PUTS TOGETHER A DOPE VIDEO DOESNT MEAN EVEYTHING IS TRUE…..DO I WANT KONY CAPTURED YES!!! BUT AMERICA IS GOIN TO STEAL FROM UGANDA AND KILL THOUSANDS OF FAMILIES TO GET THAT OIL….THEY DO ALLLL THE TIME….

Q Lateef via Facebook

As recently as 2007 though Kony appeared from his exile to discuss a peace deal with the Ugandan government that would ensure the disbandment of his guerrilla army. Upon hearing of the ICC investigation into his acts of crime against humanity Kony disappeared again. His self imposed exile into the southern borders of Sudan and Congo only add to the mystery. In addition, Kony claims that he and his LRA are acting on behalf of God.

 

Read the original Storify.com message here.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s