Part of The Furniture, Part of The Family

Sean sitting on CouchIt had been a part of our lives from the day we moved in together to the day we had to let it go. A three seated, convertible couch with blue and white stripes, simple and elegant, at least I thought so. It lived in two apartments and one home. The couch and the television were the first two pieces of furniture we ever bought.

In its early days it was fashionable. The cushions had neat edges and were perfectly square. Everything smelled new and looked new. But as we grew accustomed to it, it became a place to flop, with our shoes still on, after work. It became a sometimes bed for us or our guests. The white stripes didn’t look so white after a year and the edges didn’t look so neat sometime after that. It was our second bedroom in our first one bedroom apartment. Then we moved to a two bedroom and it became our third bedroom.

It was the couch I sat on to bottle feed our newborn, day and night. As the changing table became too small it became the changing table instead. When our son crawled he began pulling himself to standing by grabbing the fabric of it and pulling hard. It was a place to play peek-a-boo, hide and seek, or just sit and play the guitar and sing Baby Beluga to him.

Then we moved to our house, and the couch, with stripes not so bright, edges not so neat, and fabric not so new moved with us too, now our fourth bedroom in a three bedroom house.

It was still a bed and a changing table, but was soon to become a fortress with cushions for walls, a blanket for a roof and a navy blue carpeted floor. “What happened to my fort?” our son would cry every morning. To him the couch was a magic thing that transitioned from fort to couch every night. It was a gymnasium used by a 2-year-old who liked to bounce, bounce, bounce and then somersault into a pit of cushions and pillows; gather his dizzy head together, and then do it all over again.

Sean on floor in front of CouchThat couch was a place for a two-year old and his pals to sit and play and fight and snack. Bites were given to food and each other as teeth came in and the urge to sink them into something or someone became so strong our son and his friends could not resist. Toys were dragged from another child’s hands, tears were shed, and scoldings and reprimands given on that couch. Feet that barely reached the edge of the cushion would eventually reach the floor. A helping hand to climb up on the couch would no longer be needed.

My son’s first belly laugh was from that couch as he watched Wallace wallop Gromit with a shovelful of soapy suds. When diapers were no longer needed those belly laughs caused loss of bladder control, cushions were sprayed with Fabreeze, turned over and once again looked new, until the next belly laugh.

It was the couch we sat on as we took pictures of our son in his first Halloween costume. It was the couch I sat on and wondered if this was the day my mother and niece would die. It was the couch I sat on and cried when they both did. It was the couch I sat on to congratulate sisters on their engagements, commiserate brothers and sister-in-laws on break-ups, wish happy birthday, congratulate on pregnancies and births and sometimes just sit and think about being home, I already was home.

Our poor couch became the crime scene of potty training accidents, juice spills, food mishaps, throw-up, days when we cuddled our son because he was sick, days when we lit a fire and just unfolded the bed and watched television on a snowy weekend, we rang in the New Years for ten years sitting on that crummy couch, we cried at losing family members, laughed at seeing our son play with his toys, read stories, sang songs; we watched life change before us sitting on that couch. We talked about getting rid of it because it just plain stunk, it looked like we salvaged it from a junk yard, all misshapen and stained, but we just couldn’t part with it.

One morning, in October of 2005 we woke up to a heavy rain. It rained for ten days straight. When it stopped raining our house flooded. We salvaged what we could, the television, some toys, but the carpet and the couch had to go.

It sat in our driveway, the wet stain creeping up along the fabric; changing the color and making it look grey and sad. It was dirty, battered, broken, out of shape, smelly, and beautiful beyond belief. Our son sat on it, his feet now easily reaching the tarmac. “Its still good,” he said, “It will dry out in the sun. We can’t just throw it out!” Letting go is always hard.

Often the things that look shiny and bright when they are new give us the most joy when we look back on them as old things that have been part of our lives and given us fond memories, this couch was one of those things. It was like a person really, the older it got, the crankier and meaner it looked, but it was still soft and comfortable to be with because it saw us through so many joyful and difficult times.

The couch was literally, part of the family, and though it has been seven years now since it sat in our driveway that unforgiving cold and damp October in 2005, we still talk about that couch as if it were a person who was a major part of our lives. And in a way, it was.

© Loretto Horrigan Leary 2010

© Loretto Horrigan Leary 2010


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s